Wednesday, April 2, 2008

and so it begins...

I've wanted to keep a journal for a long time. I rationalized that I never had the time. I've lost track of so many milestones in Aidan and Amanda's lives and it makes me sad. Now is the time. I don't need a reason. We're finally getting settled in NY. We've been here for almost 3 weeks now. Jon got a job on Monday and officially started today. I'm excited to see how his first day went. It is starting to seem real. Up until this point everything seemed like a really strange vacation. I still feel like we live in our house in Colorado but we're staying here temporarily. I need to get used to the fact that I will never live in our house in Colorado again and we're starting a new chapter in our lives.

The house is on the market. The realtor seemed optimistic at the start that it would show well. I hope that stays true. We've had a lot of showings but no offers. I know that it takes time to sell a house but I am not a very patient person. The comments have been varied. Some have said that it is beautiful with great curb appeal and others said that it had some smells in the garage and has a small kitchen. We can't do anything about the size of the house! The garage smells and unfortunately that will only get better with time. Jon smoked out there for 5 years and fortunately that is the only room that smells! It is the garage for goodness sake! Oh well, we just need to wait. I keep reminding myself that the longer it is on the market the more equity we build (although we do pay more interest).

Jon's job seems promising. He was worried about applying to the company because they specialize in residential alarm systems which wasn't the direction that he really wanted to go. The good thing was that there was a high likelyhood that they would hire him. He called a few times around Easter but he did not receive any return calls. We finally decided after about a week that he would drive over and drop off his resume. That was on Thursday. Friday evening at around 5:30 Jon went to pick up some pizza for dinner and almost immediately after he left, the phone rang. It was the security company calling. I excitedly asked if he could return the call as soon as he came back. How is it that we can sit around the house all day, every day waiting for the phone to ring and the second we leave the phone rings? I guess timing really is everything! Oh well, Jon was able to call them back and they asked to meet with him at 9 on Monday morning. The hired him immediately and he was asked to start in their FIRE ALARM department on Wednesday. He was excited. He is working on a 3 story retrofit which should be right up his alley. Besides a bit of nervousness on both of our parts, he took off this morning to start work at 7:30. I'm excited to see how it went.

I haven't had any luck with my job search yet. I got really excited when a big recruiting firm called me less than a week after we arrived. Unfortunately I've been playing a horrible game of email/phone tag since then. I don't get it. They called me very excited and explained that they wanted to meet with me. The guy who called was from their Stamford, CT office which is a bit of a trip from here (about 2 hours). He suggested that he would get in touch with his White Plains office to have them work with me. He said since the next day was Good Friday that I probably wouldn't hear anything until Monday. It has now been a week and a half and I still haven't heard anything. I've sent 3 emails and left 2 voicemails. Is something seriously wrong with me? Why isn't he calling back? I'm getting frustrated, disappointed and nervous. Is my job search going to be this difficult? I thought I had an impressive resume. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Aidan and Amanda are settling in nicely. They are super happy to be here with grandma and papa Oscar. The don't even seem to care that we left Colorado. They either adapt really really well or they are just too young to realize what is going on. We explained before we moved that we were leaving Colorado and going to live here for a while. They haven't questioned a bit of it. We threw away their cribs in Colorado and got them a bed here and they accepted that immediately too. They are wonderful! Unfortunately they are both sick right now. They both have a nasty cough. This started last week when I was feeling crappy the day after Easter. I assumed that I had caught something during the holiday when visiting family in Beacon. Then Jon got sick. By Wednesday night, the kids both woke up multiple times in the middle of the night with pretty high fevers. The fevers eventually broke but a nasty cough remained. We're still trying to shake the cough. We've had a few restless nights but it is getting better. I'm looking foward to some nicer weather so that we can take the kids to the park and get them outside for fresh air more often.

I can't forget to mention Smokey (the cat). He is having the worst time of the family. He is trying to get used to my mom's cat, Sasha. Sasha is very teritorial and does not like Smokey at all. We're hoping they will get used to each other but it might be a while. They have been fighting since day one but the intensity is decreasing.

I guess that is all I have to report at this point. I feel like such a weight is lifted now that I've written this first entry. I'm hoping that it is easier to continue as time goes on...

No comments: