Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Potty progress!

Today was THE BIG DAY. We started by sitting on the potty and talking about our big trip of the day. We were heading to the store to buy underpants. I've been talking it up with the kids for a while now and starting yesterday we talked about it to the point of excitement. After a hectic few hours of breakfast, potties, dressing and miscellaneous activities, we were out the door on the way to the store.

We spent wayyyy too much time and money in the store but I felt it was worth it. We first went to pick out big kid underpants. After each kid picked two packs that they wanted (Amanda got Tinkerbell and My Little Pony; Aidan got Cars and Mickey Mouse) we wandered the store picking up a few odds and ends. They both picked out stickers for rewards when they went on the potty. Then we got a Go Diego Go toilet seat ring so they can sit on the big potty if they wanted to.

To supplement the potty supplies, we got some big kid toys to show them what big kids can do. We got a t-ball set, 24 pack of crayons (they only had 8 before), finger paints, bubble bath and bathtub crayons. Yes, they were definitely spoiled today. I didn't even mention the follow-up to the underpants trip. After buying the entire store and having two extremely excited two-year-olds, we headed to Chuck E. Cheese. Am I nuts? Yup!

We have never been to Chuck E. Cheese. It was a rainy day and I wanted to have a very special day with the kids so we went to play. They had so much fun. They climbed through the jungle gym and rode on some of the kiddie rides they have. We ate a bit of pizza (when I could get them to sit still long enough to take a bite). At a point in time which was well past naptime, I decided it was time to leave. There was a bit of crying and screaming involved but I was able to carry leftover pizza, a soda, my bag, Aidan and Amanda through the door and to the car without any major injuries. About 15 minutes from home they both fell asleep.

Sleeping in the car is not good for naptime. When we got home Amanda and Aidan were exited with the purchases and told grandma about everything. I had a very hard time getting them down for nap. Amanda finally passed out but Aidan played quietly for about 45 minutes. I finally allowed him to get up so he didn't wake Amanda. He came to my room and hung out with me and then I decided to try spending some alone time with Aidan to work on the potty.

I took Aidan and his new underpants and we went in the bathroom for a while. I won't bore with the details but it was successful! He was so proud of himself. By the evening both of the kids had gone on the potty and they were so excited!

We took a tubby with the crayons and the bubblebath and it was mostly successful. Amanda has been really scared of the bathroom for a few weeks now and I'm not exactly sure what to do. I hope that more bathtime activities will help but I think she is just scared of my mom's tub.

That's it for tonight.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I am sure it will be an up and down journey to get them potty trained but it sounds like you are on the right course!